Carrot Beans a spicy stir fry/poriyal is a best combo to have with rasam ,curd and even dhal rice.This is a spicier version which i have made here.Coming to the health facts about this dish.Carrot which is good source of Vitamin A ,in the form of beta carotene,normally said to be good for the eyes.Beta carotene is an anti oxidants and thus it prevents cell degeneration. Anti-oxidants also slow down the ageing process.Carrots indeed gives you a glowing skin.And beans,eventhough belonging to the legume/pulses family,it lacks some essential amino-acids,so instead of taking beans as a sole dish it's best said to combine with brown rice,corn,nuts,seeds and wheat to get the complete protein content,that is required for our body.Some of the medical facts that beans provides like ,lowers the cholesterol level,regulates the functions of colon ,prevents and cures constipation,lowers blood pressure.
Serves 3-4Carrots (diced) - 1Cup
Beans(diced) -1 Cup
Sambar onion/Shallots - 5 nos
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
Salt -As Reqd
To CrushGarlic pods -3 to 4
Green Chillies-1 no
Jeera - 1/2 tsp
To TemperMustard Seeds-1/4 tsp
Curry Leaves - few
Oil - 1 tsp
- Crush the garlic,green chillies and jeera in a stone mortar-pestle, or in your mixer in pulse mood,and keep aside.Add the chillies according to the spice level.I think 1 no of green chilly is enough for this prep.In a pan add oil and temper with mustard .Add the chopped onions and saute for a while.
- Then add the curry leaves and the crushed ingredients and stir them,until the raw flavour of the garlic and chilly has gone off.
- Then add the diced veggies ,turmeric powder and rock salt .Stir them and close the vessel with a lid.The veggies would have half cooked from the water coming out them.Stir occasionally.Add some water and let the veggies cook well.
- Switch OFF the flame.when it's done.Serve Hot.
- Can add grated coconuts finally before switching off the flame.