Coconut rice/Thengai Sadam is an easy meal plan to prepare,if you are planning for a simple lunch,yet delicious.And it's our all time favorite at our home,my husband and my in-laws love it a lot.I learnt this recipe from my mom.So whenever it's packed for my lunch,during my school days,i feel the sharp aroma when i open the lid of my lunch box,and it occupies my stomach soon ,unlike any other meals. And happy i could make it close to my mom now. For those who haven't tried this recipe yet,i recommend you to give it a try and enjoy the taste and aroma combo.
Cooked Rice- 4 Cups
Coconut(grated)- 3/4 to 1 Cup ( approx half portion of a whole coconut)
Gingely Oil - 1 Tbsp
Channa Dal -1Tbsp
Green chillies - 2nos
Mustard - 1/2 tsp
curry leaves - as reqd
oil - as reqd
Salt(crystal) - as reqd
- Pressure cook your rice and cool it in a wide bowl.
- In a pan add oil,add mustard seeds and let them crackle,then add the channa dal,Keeping in a low flame fry the channa till it turns golden yellow color.Immediately add the green chillies and curry leaves and saute for a while(20-30 sec's).
- Now add salt according to your taste and then add the grated coconut and saute in a medium flame for about 5-7 mins or until the aroma of the coconut comes out.Now the main part is done.Switch OFF the flame.
- Take the cooked rice, ensure that the rice is no longer hot, it can be warm but not hot. Add one Tablespoon of Gingely oil and mix it well with a spatula.This makes the grains not to stick with others.Mix the coconut mixture in the rice and now it's ready to be served.
- Accompany with rice/urad poppadoms or Tomato thokku.Will update the side dish tomato thokku in my future post.
- Cook the rice in the ratio 1:2.5(for 1 cup rice add 2.5 Cup water) and pressure cook for 3 Whistles.can soak the rice for 10mins.
- Garnish with roasted cashews for an appealing feel.
- Can also add black peppercorns when you add the chillies and curry leaves.
- Use your ordinary rice(ponni or anything).