Garlic has a good potential of medicinal benefits.In almost all of the curry,chutney recipes we include garlic due to their medicinal facts.It is good source to lower the cholesterol level in human body,controls gastro related problems,helps in easy digestion.Also can reduce knee problems..Including garlic more in our diet helps us get rid of the above mentioned problems.It's a medicine in fact.The Garlic gravy/Poondu Kuzhambu should be taken at least once in a week,so that you comfort your digestion system as well. This gravy is easy to prepare and does'nt need more ingredients.The simple version of the Poondu Kuzhambu is given below..
Garlic pods - Handful
Small Onion/sambar onion/shallots -10 no's
Tamarind Extract -2 Tbsp (from a small gooseberry size)
Sambar powder -3 tsp
Salt - as reqd
Gingely Oil -3 Tbsp
Curry Leaves - few
Gingely Oil - 1 tsp
Mustard seeds -1/2 tsp
- Extract the tamarind juice by soaking (a small gooseberry size) in warm water for 10 minutes.Crush the onions in mixie jar in pulse mode,keep aside.In a pan add 3 Tablespoon Gingely oil.Add the cleaned garlic.Saute for 4-5mins in low flame.When the garlic's turn golden yellow in color add the crushed onion(the garlic should be 3/4th cooked in this stage) and saute for 3-4minutes or until the raw smell has gone off.
- Now add 3 tsp of sambar powder/Kuzhambu powder.Saute for a minute.
- Add tamarind extract and salt.Add required amount of water ,just 1.5 inch above the garlic curry.Let it boil.Cover the vessel with a lid.It might take around 10-15 minutes to get the end product.Oil oozes out from the curry to show that the curry is done.switch off the flame.And temper with mustard seeds and curry leaves.Serve hot.Accompany with Poppadoms or carrot poriyal.
- Look out the garlic / poondu kuzhambu below.Goes well with plain rice,dosa,idly.
- Use gingely oil for extra taste.
- To get a thick consistency i have crushed used onions (pulse mode in mixer) to the gravy ,can use whole small onions instead of crushed ones if you want a low-medium thick gravy.My suggestion is to go for crushed method if have extra people at home.