Weekend is yet to arrive,most of the people make their special menu's on weekend's only,because it means like a get together with family members.So special menu's carry on during weekends.Here is a such special recipe which i every people love.Ya it's a biriyani...Over from pizza mania ,now the trend has changed to biriyani mania...Biriyani is always a special food for Indian's.Varying from Kashmir to Kanyakumari there are different varieties of biriyani's or pulav's.Each regions method of making biriyani varies from the other region.But the unique thing is, its overall flavor attracts everybody.
Do you know why people love biriyani's? Its a yummy platter of perfectly done done rice blended with spices and veggies/meat.India is well known for its spices allover the world.Whatever meal we make spices play a vital part in bringing up the flavor and taste. Briyani is a one such food ,or we say a masterpiece of-course..Shall we lookout how my biriyani has come out ...
Making biriyani has always been so exciting to me. The Wonderful portion in making biriyani's to me is marinating..I love marinating.Each time i prepare fresh masala's for making biriyani's.The method which i have mentined for making this mutton biriyani is the same for chiken/veg briyani .For veg briyani's you can omit the marination part.If you prefer ready made masala's for making biriyani's,for a change, you can try out this fresh masala part ...It is interesting to take part in all the process of making a briyani.And i'm sure you will like it..
Serves 2 -3
For MarinatingMutton - 250 g
Fresh Curd - 2 Tbsp
Slit Green Chillies - 2
Ginger-Garlic paste - 2tsp
Saunf powder - 1tsp
Pudhina and coriander leaves - few
Turmeric powder - 1tsp
Salt - as Reqd
For Pudhina PastePudhina - less than a handful measeurement
Coriander Leaves - Half the quantity of pudhina measurement
Saunf Seeds - 2 tsp
Green Chillies - 2 (depending upon your spice requirement)
For biriyaniRice - 250g
Bay Leaves - 2 no
Cinnamon Stick - 2 no's
Elaichi - 1 no
Annasi Poo - 1 no
Cloves - 2
Onion - 2 no's
Tomato - 1
Green Chillies - 1 Slit length wise
Fresh Curd - 1.5 Tbsp
Lemon Juice -1/2 tsp
Oil - as reqd
Ghee - 4 tsp
Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
Garam Masala Powder - 1 tsp (if home made, 1/2 tsp if store brought one)
Pudhina and Coriander Leaves - few
Salt - as Reqd
- First comes the marination part.Wash the mutton with vinegar (optional) and water.Wash them thrice with water.Then add all the ingredients under marination part and leave aside for atleast 1/2 hour.Once marination is over pressure cook them for minimum of 15 whistles or until the meat gets cooked.
- Next is the fresh masala grinding part.It is so simple to make.In a pan add some oil and saute with the ingredients under pudhina paste.Allow them to cool and grind.Keep aside the ground masala.
- Now you can check the pressure cooked meat and strain the water from the meat. Don't discard the water,reserve them.In a bowl add the rice and wash them once with water and completely strain the water.In a pan add some ghee and saute the strained rice.
- Saute the rice well and remove from stove and keep aside.In a pressure cooker or in a kadai add some oil/ghee and add the spices(bay leaves,cloves,annasi poo,cinnamon and elaichi) saute them for a minute under medium flame.Then add the sliced onions and saute them well ,for 3 to 4 minutes under medium flame.
- Then add the grind pudhina paste and saute them well .Add some oil if required at this stage.Then add some turmeric powder,little bit of garam masala and salt.Then add the tomatoes.Saute until the tomatoes are well cooked.
- Next add the cooked meat and saute for atleast 4 minutes.Then add curd and pudhina leaves mix well and add the reserved water.Measure the water and add to the pan.For 1 Cup rice add 1.5 Cup water including the reserved water.
- Once the water starts boiling add the fried rice and check to the salt and spice level now.(If you feel to add more spice you can add chilli powder at this stage,But its completely optional, to add chilli powder.I generally prefer only green chilly flavor.)Add the remaining garam masala at this stage and squeeze 1/2 tsp of lemon juice and close the cooker.Wait for 2 whistles and open the lid once the pressure is released and mix the briyani with a ladle.
- Serve hot with onion raitha and salna.Enjoy!!!